Group rallies against biogas plant
June 15, 2012 By: Colin Dewar
More than two years into the battle, a group of Elmira residents has no intention of letting up on its opposition to a proposed biogas plant. On Monday the Bio-Fuel Citizens Committee (BFCC) held a rally at Bolender Park in Elmira, where close to 50 people attended in the rain to hear an update on the fight against the Woolwich Bio-En project.The bio-energy facility won provincial approval in March despite reservations from the township and some residents. The operation will use an anaerobic digester to convert organic material into methane that, in turn, fuels a generator to create electricity.
“Things are still happening so don’t give up hope and don’t give up the fight,” Dr. Dan Holt, a member of the committee, told the rally attendees. “A lot of things are still being looked at and we are working on some things: it is not a done deal yet. The contract has been awarded for this location but there are still some negotiations being done. We have had a strong, unified voice.”
Residents in town are concerned about the smells, traffic and health risks associated with the plant. The province has already green lit the plant for the north end of town and the committee will be entering mediation over the plant.
Register or Log In to post a message
- An error has occurred, which probably means the feed is down. Try again later.
- Elmira Advocate: ONE MORE WIN FOR MONEY AND ONE MORE ... 23 May 2013 Alan Marshall
- Elmira Advocate: MORE DISGUSTING POLLUTERS WITH ... 20 May 2013 Alan Marshall
- NASDAQ Composite Index Market View: 2013/05/15 Market View 16 May 2013 ballwarm
- chemtura's current project to clean up the elmira - Elmira Advocate 14 May 2013 Alan Marshall
- Elmira Advocate: M.O.E. JUNK SCIENCE FOR THE MASSES 13 May 2013 Alan Marshall
- Arrogant, or just irresponsible? - SouthwesternOntario.ca 10 May 2013 gmartin
Tagsappeal application bfcc Bio-En Bio-Fuel Citizens' Committee Biogas Bolender Park Change Detection Citizen CLC Committee Community Liaison Committee Council CTV decision Elmira Elmira Independent environment Environmental Review Tribunal Green Energy Lawn Signs location Mayor mediation meeting Ministry of Environment MOE municipal negotiation news proposal protest Province of Ontario Public Meeting signs The Record Todd Cowan township Traffic trucks update website Woolwich Council Woolwich Observer Woolwich Township
- Elmira Advocate on the Bio-En CLC Meeting of 7 May 2013 10 May 2013
- Bio-En Construction has begun 5 May 2013
- Sustainability forum focuses on collaboration 18 April 2013
- Minutes of 12 March 2013 CLC Meeting now available 19 March 2013
- Bio-En Community Liaison Committee Meeting, 7 May 2013 14 March 2013
- Bio-En Community Liaison Committee Meeting, 12 March 2013 19 February 2013
- Another biosolids facility in Waterloo Region? 13 February 2013
- Ontario’s FIT program just got a lot more expensive 27 December 2012
- Conflict of Interest? 26 November 2012
- Biogas Waste Contaminates Honey 7 October 2012